1. Welcome!

Alt Under Ctrl [oːl ˈandə kənˈtrəul], est. 2014, is a non-profit gaming community where users can play relaxing game modes competitively and find same-minded people. Our goal is to host challenging new servers, have fun, and for our administrators not to unnecessarily interfere, except as players. Breaking rules, which exist to protect users from having a bad time, prompts administrators to interfere.

We introduced ourselves. Will you?

BHOP HARD (Not an issue) Swedish letters (å, ä ,ö) get you muted. Highly insulting, this can not go on

Discussion in 'Not An Issue' started by Flummy, Jul 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
This thread is more than 60 days old.
  1. Flummy

Flummy AUC Friend

Hello,

Countless times I've encountered this annoying "feature" on your bhop servers (and probably the other servers too) of which I am an active user, where you get flagged for discrimination in the chat if you use any of the letters å, ä or ö. These letters are necessary to write many swedish words, which are sometimes needed in communication. It is not only annoying and impractical that when you accidentally use one of these letters out of habit in a chat message on your servers you get flagged for discrimination/swearing, and eventually muted which in itself is extra annoying, but it is also an insult to Sweden's culture and language.

The actions that should be taken in concern of this issue is that the reason for this bug should be identified as soon as possible so that these problems can be fixed and cease to exist. Currently, we are punished for appreciating and using that which we love and need. Hopefully we may soon use the beautiful letters Å, Ä and Ö once again and bask in their glorious presence.

Flummy

2. SexySteven

SexySteven AUC Warden Team Member Financial Supporter

Hi @Flummy,

You may have noticed the message that appears from time to time in the in-game chat that says: "* The only permitted language on this server is English. Use the language everyone can understand and relate to." (That includes chat and voice). You getting flagged for using such characters as those in this post's title is definitely not a bug. I'm sorry to hear you were offended/insulted, but this message doesn't aim to offend, just to remind (with a consequence) that what you just typed was against the rules. You cannot get flagged for 'discrimination' as no such automated message exists in our system. Now I don't know for certain which message you got, but it was one of these two:

These are the messages you can get:

That is the message you get for typing a special character non-related to english;
    "Being unfriendly is against the !rules. Please behave, or face consequences."

And that is what you get for being 'toxic', 'unfriendly' towards other people;
    * (Private message to X, you):
    * Hi! Friendly reminder! Your message ''X'' can be considered toxic. Please behave or face consequences.
    * (End of message)

See the rules here → http://www.altunderctrl.com/rules/

I hope you understand that we only allow English because we are an English community and because it is an international language that most people can understand.
    And again, in no way did we mean to insult your cultur and language.

Cordially,
    SexySteven

3. Flummy

Flummy AUC Friend

Hi @SexySteven,

My name is Fredrik Åhman. Names are universal and transcend languages. So the pride of bearing my last name is inhibited even in using the English language. This is an insult to my existence and birth

Flummy

4. SexySteven

Hello @Flummy,

I really don't see why would you need to type your full name in an online game server. In any case, I don't think you should ever tell your real name to people online. If you really feel the need to do so, then I suggest you do it by private messages.

Regards,

5. Flummy

Flummy AUC Friend

Consider this Exhibit:

There are 2 (two) players online on a bhop server during inactive hours. They are completely by themselves. Both players are swedish. 1 (one) player is hopping along merrily, the Other as well. "The Other" is aware of player number 1 (one) being swedish. Due to this, and the fact that they are completely alone and will not disturb other players, The Other chooses to write in swedish. Using english in this situation would be very unnecessary and, since the Other player is also very young he doesn't know it well. Very difficult and slow. Not realizing that the chat automatically punishes him for this, he is eventually muted. This is a big complication for the enjoyment that this player has and gets to share, he gets confused and angry. He will not have as good of a time. The rules don't mention writing chat messages in English. A chat message about using English only also hadn't popped up. What a huge issue! It should be fixed. Å, Ä and Ö should be reintroduced.

Terms: "the Other" = player number 2 (two)

Chappy likes this.
  6. SexySteven

That fact that you are only 2 players during inactive hours doesn't make it right to type in Swedish even if, as you said, The Other doesn't know English well. I know the rules say "Speaking other languages than English." but that includes typing aswell. I agree that a correction should be made to clarify that aspect. Do you know why is it forbidden to use other languages than English even if you are only 2 and on during inactive hours? Because we have an In-game Live Chat viewer that is available for members to use/see and as many people as possible have to be able to understand what you are saying, and the best way to accomplish that is by speaking/typing in English. It is as simple as that. Now if you really want to speak Swedish with another person, I suggest you do so by voice on a third-party software (Discord, TeamSpeak, Skype, Oovoo, Mumble, etc..), there are plently. Å, Ä and Ö won't be reintroduced. Sorry.

The In-game Live Chat viewer is avaible for members to see under the 'Tools' tab.

Chappy likes this.
  7. Flummy

Flummy AUC Friend

You can't even share the ip adress to your easier servers to help noobs, great filter guys, just fucking remove it

Chappy likes this.
  8. Wrox

Wrox AUC Senior Warden Team Member Financial Supporter

Hi @Flummy,

I have read through the topic, and I disagree with your mentionings about being able to talk Swedish as a right. I am sure you made this topic somewhat humorously, but I will give you a serious answer.

I natively speak Swedish as well, but our community is English. To clarify, it is not a right to speak Swedish here. If someone would like to express real-life name or sentences in Swedish or any other language, there are other servers which permit this. Our community is strictly international.

We will look into improving our filter as I do agree with your point about not being able to post our own server IP:s in chat. A new topic has been created for that purpose, here. I agree it should work, and has been a bit overlooked on our part!

Thanks for the feedback overall!

Regards