1. Welcome!

Alt Under Ctrl [oːl ˈandə kənˈtrəul], est. 2014, is a non-profit gaming community where users can play relaxing game modes competitively and find same-minded people. Our goal is to host challenging new servers, have fun, and for our administrators not to unnecessarily interfere, except as players. Breaking rules, which exist to protect users from having a bad time, prompts administrators to interfere.

We introduced ourselves. Will you?

Point of the profanity filter

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by asdassdaasdsdadsa, Feb 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
This thread is more than 60 days old.
  1. asdassdaasdsdadsa

asdassdaasdsdadsa AUC Friend Financial Supporter

What exactly is the point of this filter? It only serves as a nuisance. If people want to call people ni**ers or whatever they can do so in voice chat, and what do you do then? You mute them. Same goes for chat. Seems pretty stupid to me, banning people for saying "fuck i missed the last part" lol.

Zpinxx likes this.
  2. Zpinxx

Zpinxx AUC Friend

Tru dat

asdassdaasdsdadsa likes this.
  3. SexySteven

SexySteven AUC Warden Team Member Financial Supporter

You can say "fuck" all you want want. People saying ni**ers are getting muted because it is considered racist depending on the context.. And nobody gets banned because they say a certain map sucks or because they "fucked the last part", I must've said it atleast a 100 times by now.

Edit: Nobody gets banned, ever. And when someone gets muted it's only for the duration of the map unless they've been muted more than once before.

4. asdassdaasdsdadsa

By banned I ment muted, should have clarified that. The ni**er example was more of an example of what you can mute yourself, not that it is acceptable to say. I don't know if they have changed their filter recently, but I have been muted for saying fuck etc.

5. Guffy

Guffy AUC Warden Team Member Financial Supporter

There's a filter for the purpose of keeping the chat clean & friendly. :) First of all, there's no real reason to include the word "Fuck" in any sentence ;-) But nonetheless, you won't get muted the first couple times (I believe it's set to 3, correct me if i'm wrong here @Wrox ). After that, it's your own fault for continuously using "Bad words", and end up getting muted.

6. Wrox

Wrox AUC Senior Warden Team Member Financial Supporter

@Guffy
    Cussing is okay, to clarify what Guffy means to say here.

@asdassdaasdsdadsa
    Can you describe the context? We do not (or the servers should not) mute for cussing. The servers can mute if you're bantering about people, as in directing your cusses towards someone. It has a point and does not serve the purpose of making it child-friendly in any way (the game isn't rated for children despite lots playing it), it has the point of creating a room for laidback, relaxed talk minus the toxicity that is so common in CS:GO.

Zpinxx likes this.
  7. asdassdaasdsdadsa

None of my messages have been directed towards another player. I just checked the filter recently, saying fucking will mute me, fuck will not. Cancerous will not mute me, but cancer will. Idk this filter seems really stupid, I dont get the point of it. It blocks chat, but not voice. Whats the point of that.

BOT =^.^= likes this.
  8. SexySteven

By muted do you mean your message won't appear in the chat? I know for a fact that if you try to write "cancer" it won't appear in the chat, but you won't get muted for saying it. Normally saying "fucking" isn't an issue tho.

9. asdassdaasdsdadsa

No I get warning but no mute, but cancerous still appears?

10. SexySteven

The warnings you receive don't have any real consequences, they're just to remind you to stay polite. And I didnt create the filter so yeah some words like "cancerous" might still appear.

11. Wrox

Wrox AUC Senior Warden Team Member Financial Supporter

Chat is controlled automatically, voice is controlled by humans, since the latter is not possible to automate yet. Or do you mean voice should be muted as well if you are muted in chat, if I misinterpreted you?

In what context would you have the need to say cancerous except for saying that something or someone is bad? Do reply if you do not get what I am trying to say here!

Fucking <insert word> is almost always something bad, and is directed towards something or someone. Fuck is a cuss and is therefore okay for those who want to use it. Would you like to see this pulled off differently? We can definitely probably change some things around, given you motivate it :)

Regards

12. asdassdaasdsdadsa

What I mean by this is that while you mute chat to weed out negativity it serves little to no point as voice chat is unregulated.

This one I don't agree with at all; "fucking ramp" for example. Either way, I understand the thought behind your filter, I just don't agree with the function of it while voice chat is unregulated. But I guess it's better than nothing!

13. Chappy

Chappy AUC Active Tribute Financial Supporter

But the voice chat is regulated by humans (moderators) on the server. It is not unregulated.

BOT =^.^= likes this.